Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Backyard bliss...

While my blog has been put on the back burner, the projects at my home have been in full swing. I'm excited to share one of my favorite updates to our home. As some of my readers know, I blogged about outdoor chandeliers and amazing backyard retreats a few weeks ago. Ever since then I've been dying to create an outdoor oasis for my family to enjoy. While we have a small teak patio set that provides seating and shelter from the sun, we were missing a place to dine with friends and family. I love outdoor pergolas, but I definitely did not love the price tag that came with buying one premade or built and installed; prices range anywhere from $2000-$5000 for the size I wanted. With a sigh I thought, "well that's not happening soon." However, not too many days later, I came across this pergola in a Pottery Barn store and thought, "I can totally make that on a bigger scale for the backyard!" (with the help of my muscle, of course!) 

Pergola inside Pottery Barn store: inspiration.

Thus, our project began! It took two days to complete, from tearing up the sod to the final touches of potted plants. Total money spent: just under $400 to complete! I'd say that's a far cry from the $3000 I quoted on the internet. While I'm still in the process of finding just the right rectangular dining table and options for chandelier lighting, I couldn't help but share my excitement in what we've built! I hope you enjoy the photos and are inspired to shake up your outdoor space just in time for Spring/Summer! xoxo - jennifer bianca

Tearing up sod is mch harder than it looks!
my handsome husband and my muscle
every DIYer gets their hands dirty!
loading up on our lumber
after digging holes and cementing in 4x4 beams
potting some annuals for added eye candy
finished project! wood sealed with clear coat
using a table I have until I find a rectangular table I like...

I chose pea pebbles because they remind me of the English gardens I adore...
new spot for my herb box
I can't wait for my climbing roses to make their way up and over the pergola!
 At night.. currently searching for a chandelier to grace the space..


1 comment:

  1. so lovely! you'll certainly be spending a great amount of time there this summer!!!

    ReplyDelete